NJ Energy Conservation
Information on Energy Conservation
Using infrared technology, this house shows the heat loss areas. The blue on the roof shows relatively good insulation and low heat loss.
The orange walls show moderate heat loss, but the yellow windows identify the largest are of heat loss.
Here are some easy ideas on how to help with your energy bills:
Hot air rises, so you house can become like one big chimney of escaping air.
- Make sure you have a minimum of 9″ (R 30 Value) of insulation in your attic.
- If you have pull-down attic stairs, create a box in the attic around them, to hold insulation when the stairs are closed. The box can be purchased in a kit form.
- Replace air conditioning ceiling filters with polystyrene cut to the same size. Make a note to yourself to re-install the filters prior to the cooling season.
- Close up all air conditioning supply registers located in ceilings.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure the damper is closed when the fireplace is not in use.
“Walls have ears” or so the saying goes, they also have gaps.
- Try putting your hand over an electric outlet on an outside wall. Likely you will feel the wind blowing. Buy gaskets from any hardware store that fit inside the outlet and switch covers. These are cheap, pre-cut and easy to install.
- Installing energy efficient windows is the ultimate answer, but this can be expensive. At the very least caulk around windows and door frames to seal any gaps.
- Heavy drapes and shades will reduce dreafts and heat loss through old windows.
Let’s get electrical
- Installing a programmable thermostat is a great way to manage your energy costs. More heat when you are in the house, less heat and energy when you are not.
- Replace traditional incandescent lights with energy efficient compact flourescent bulbs. These use 75% less electricity and last 10 times longer.
Wrap up warm
- Put insulating wrap around your hot water pipes to limit the amount of radiant heat loss and put wrap on cold water pipes in unheated areas to prevent pipes freezing.
- Install a cover on your hot water heater.
- Your heating and A/C system is like your car: it runs better if it is serviced regularly.